The Mendham Fire Department began serving the local community in 1905. Its membership has always been, and still is, comprised completely of volunteers from the local area.
Civic-minded residents with a drive to go the extra distance when the alarm rings out have joined the roster and proudly serve as one of Mendham’s bravest.
Do you want to help your fellow neighbors, work hard, meet new people and have fun at the same time? If you do, then Volunteer! And join the Mendham Fire Department!
Here are some common membership FAQ’s
- Where do I sign up?
- Contact any member of the department, use the form below (it goes to our committee chairman), stop by the firehouse or call the Fire Chief at (973)543-4682 to learn more and to pick up an application.
- Are there any expenses I will incur?
- The department will provide you with your Fire Fighter gear, Dress Uniform, and Pager. Other personal items such as jackets, sweatshirts, etc. are at your own expense, if you choose to buy them.
- Are there any tests to join?
- Yes. You must pass a criminal background background check, have a good driving record, and be approved by the membership committee of the department.
- What are the health requirements?
- You must pass a medical physical to join the department.
- How much time is required?
- Typically you can expect drills, meetings, maintenance and actual calls to take up about 5 hours of your time a week. Some major events may take up to 10 hours or more per week to wrap up, and some weeks might have less activity.
- What if I don’t have any training?
- You don’t need any at all. All training you need will be provided by the department in both in-house and outside classes, as well as “on-the-job” training.
- Can both men and women join?
- Absolutely. The Mendham Fire Department is open to anyone who can physically handle the challenge.
- What if I live in Mendham but work out of town?
- That’s no problem. Many of our members work out of town. We don’t require you to make all the calls There are many ways to make up for those you miss.
- Do I have to live in town?
- Yes & No. Yes, to be a regular member, you must be a Mendham resident, or you must reside within two miles (as the crow flies) of the Borough border. No, the department recently created an Auxiliary Membership status for Men and Women that have previous fire department experience and do not live in town but are employed in Mendham. Ask an officer for more details.
- How old do I have to be?
- You must be at least 16 years old to be a junior member and 18 years old to be a regular member of the Mendham Fire Department.
If you have additional questions please use the form below: